NOVI — The Stamford, Conn.-based electronics and audio products manufacturer Harman International Industries Inc. (NYSE:HAR), said it has opened its new North American automotive headquarters in Novi.
The 188,000-square-foot building was developed by Northern Equities Group and anchors the 400-acre Haggerty Corridor Corporate Park. It is home to about 1,000 employees involved in creating products for the connected car, automotive audio and cloud services.
The new headquarters replaces a 60,000-square-foot headquarters in Farmington Hills and two other buildings in the area totaling about another 60,000 square feet.
“The opening of our new North American Automotive Headquarters signifies Harman’s drive to accelerate innovation in automotive, and also the exciting future that metro Detroit is forging as an epicenter of the connected car and autonomous driving,” said Dinesh Paliwal, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer. “The location of Harman facility underscores the incredible wealth of talent in the region and the importance of proximity to our customers and partners. We are proud to be a part of the Novi community and eager to continue our collaborations with the top American automakers to create smart, seamless solutions for the best driving experience.”
Harman also announced a $10,000 grant to the Novi Educational Foundation to support educational opportunities and program enhancements for the Novi Community School District and greater community.
The new headquarters includes:
* Engineering labs for advanced connected car technologies and platforms, including driver assistance, next-generation navigation and security systems
* Development areas focused on future connectivity systems, including telematics, over-the-air update services and vehicle-to-infrastructure and vehicle-to-vehicle communications
* Infotainment design studios for Harman and customer co-developed advanced software applications
* A modern audio listening room;
* A full cinema-quality 5.1 surround sound theater showcasing Harman’s expertise in professional audio, as well as home and multimedia
* An anechoic chamber for the accurate design and testing of speakers
* Vehicle bays for integration testing
* A full-scale pilot factory;
* Employee amenities, including a fitness center, locker rooms, cafeteria, collaboration spaces and an outdoor deck and patio space.
Harman’s website lists more than 50 job openings for engineers, technicians, interns and support staff in Novi. More at this link.
Harman’s brands include AKG, Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon, Mark Levinson and Revel. More than 25 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with Harman audio and connected car systems. Harman has a work force of 28,000 people across the Americas, Europe, and Asia and sales of $6.4 billion during the 12 months ended Sept. 30.
More at http://www.harman.com.